What is your favorite Dog?

Sunday, August 5, 2012

There are highs and lows in rescue.....


As every day there are highs and lows within the rescue world.  There are the things that make your heart so happy it feels as if it could swell from your chest. And then there are the things that make your heart feels as if it has broken inside you.  In general these feelings come separately and at different times.  However there are times when they come together leaving one to know the true meaning of both joy and sorrow and reminding one that no matter how jaded you think you have become to rescue that you are not immune to the multitude of feelings.
Early this afternoon i met with a very young family who was forced into having to find their Great Dane a home due to living arrangements.  This family was forced to choose between their human children who needed housing and their Dane child who was unable to stay due to the regulations of their landlord.  It is a no brainer really folks.  As much as we love our four legged children, our two legged ones must take the priority.  I realize many of us say we would never part with our animals, but the truth is that we have no idea what we would do unless faced with this issue. 

 This young family came with their chests taking deep breaths as they knew this was the day when they would hand their beloved Great Dane over to a new family who was anxiously waiting to meet him.  They had raised this puppy since five weeks of age and given him all of their love for 16 months.  The Dane was stunningly beautiful.  Very well cared for in every sense of the word.  Loved beyond measure you could see in his shining fur and the liquid brown eyes he had for his father.  As moments went by i noted the Dane was taking the same types of breath the family was.  This Dane knew something was changing for him.  The Dane leaned deeply into his father the entire time i watched.  As the father cried the Dane started to vomit.  Again the things i notice that make my Danes so closest to human as i have ever found within the canine world.  They know their owners inside and out. 
A new family with excitement and shine in their eyes had arrived. Since the loss of their Dane, their home and heart had been empty and waiting for the time they would fill that hole with the obvious love they had in their hearts.  A couple of days of preparation had already started.  They were ready to welcome home the boy they had only seen within photographs.  Realizing this situation was painful for the family who had raised the Dane, the new adopters were so gracious to this young family. As much as they were gracious, it was obvious that they were grateful too.  A Dane to call their own once more and understanding the loss of a Dane even though it was different situations. 

 I promised myself i wasn’t going to cry today.  That i would do business and make sure that nothing touched my insides as it is a place i have visited too often without satisfaction for my soul. I stood back and allowed these two families to make friends and the promises between one another that everyone had the best interest for the Dane in mind.  I smiled inside as i watched a group of people who all loved one dog.  And even i started to have that familiar twitch of feelings inside.  I watched as there wasn’t a dry eye in the group....including my own.  Compassion........although it can be a bitch..........i am so glad i still feel it.  I am not too jaded.  I am not hardened to rescue and it's looking like after all of this time, i am still human inside.
The new family got the Dane into the car.  Again made promises to the young family while embracing them closely.  The new family realized this was going to be one of the most painful moments in the young family’s life.  The new family did not drive away without feeling this young family’s loss even through their own excitement.  Weeks of waiting for the new family made this moment one of the sweetest moments that perhaps they will feel in one time.  They gave a gift of love to a dog that had been loved dearly.  This making their ride home even more special.  They have become responsible for the life of one Dane in which they have promised to ride to the end.  My heart swelled with love and happiness for theirs.

The young family turned their backs as the car drove away.  I embraced the mother as she was uncontrollably sobbing.  I could hear the father behind me softly crying from the bottom of his heart.  The children cried and the little boy turned and went off a distance putting his hand on the shoulder of his much younger sister.  I turned to the father and told him that i promised....the life of this Dane he loved was in good hands.  The hands that Dames for Danes had personally chosen for this Dane boy. And he whispered to me that he saw everything he needed in the new family to be sure he felt right.  I held him as if i had known him for my lifetime and i realized in this i too made a bond.  A bond among a group of people.  And a moment i will never forget.  My heart was breaking inside and physically i hurt from it. 

The love for a dog spreads far and wide.  It joins many humans through those lessons in which we are all supposed to be taught.  The love among those who love their dogs is a love that cannot be matched.  And in my mind and my thoughts are that God has those like us here, to take joy in the people we are.  So yes the highs and lows.  Well today was both in one moment and i am pleased that a dog was the center of it. And i have to say to those who don’t understand why i give my time to this work, .....if you could only feel it in your heart...you would know.  There is nothing like it.  And there is nothing i would rather be known for.   

5 comments:

  1. As someone involved in rescue, and as someone whose life is rapidly evolving due to circumstances beyond my control (my health, the economy)this post left me sobbing--afraid of what the future might hold but also thankful that at least I have a huge support system and the knowledge to do the right thing.

    Thanks for putting this into words Karen.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary- I am always here for you. Please call upon me if you need a friend.

    Much Love.......
    Karen Dypolt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just when I thought I couldn't possibly cry anymore...I miss him so much!!!
    Thank you for the beautiful words and the gorgeous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried reading this because you are right good people sometimes get into bad life situations God bless rescue! and Adopters

    ReplyDelete